Monday, November 21, 2005

Genius or Dick?





















PD. Ooh look at me, I'm doherty, I support QPR, write poems and stuff, because I'm cultured and sensitive but oh so tortured...and I wear a hat that makes me look a right gezza/wally...you know, like the artful dodger or summing. The world stinks, and I'm a rock n roll son of a bitch with ma Bob Marley posters and me New York Dolls vinyls. Oh yeah, and I do a bit a charlie as well. As Kate. Yeah?

Of course Pete Doherty probably wouldn't say this. Why does anyone give a toss anyway? Is it because he smacks himself up? So what, he's hardly a role model. I know I couldn't care less what he does with his life or how crap his songs are. It's a right he has, and when people say he's squandering his talent, well on the evidence of what we've already had, what talent? As far as I'm aware there's only ever the latest celeb teen mag, NME who's proclaimed his god-like genius, and written fake fan letters (I have it on good authority) Strange, and ironic, considering, there's no god. Don't know about any of you but I don't actually know anyone and have never met anyone who has more than a passing curiosity for Pete Doherty, let alone own any albums or have been to gigs. Perhaps it's a London thing. Curious? Buy a Clash album, see how it could have been done in 1976. Thirty years later, this retrowank is wearing thin.

Let's not beat around the bush with fake concern, designed in a celebrity death watch suit. No-one gives a shit. There is no shining star to be damaged. But I'd defend his right to push sub-Clash shite into the music industry, just don't expect me to like it. I've known journos to say 'Pay me...and I'll give him a wrap of brown that finally send him to the great Albion in the sky.' If he wants to become the new poster boy, a'la Zammo in Grange Hill, then who am I to Just Say No? If it wasn't for the shit gigs and cult like obessive nature of a hundred and odd insecure fans wanting to say they'd witnessed the next Cobain or Morrison, he'd just be another member of The Libertines, which no matter how you try and rationalise it, are yet another shit MOR band wih guitars, styled hair and not a lot to say.

No comments: