Friday, September 23, 2005

Back to school


Not for me of course, but those on BBC 2's Art School (or whatever it's called.) For those of you with jobs, it's basically another of those programmes where 'celebs' are, presented as 'real people'. Well, ooh! What a fucking great insight that is. In this case it's as artists, with feelings, aww! And perhaps the one whose feeling the most by her horrified expressions and tears, and knowing head buried in her hands to capture the right level of anguish for the cameras is the wannbe earth mother, Ulrika Johnson. Can she take critisicm. No! (Can any of us?) But rather than just grumble and imagine all kinds of death for the art teacher/critic like any sane person would, Ulrika would rather sulk and show us how sensitive and deep she is.

As for her art work. Not too bad. Pedestrian at best. Her subject matter is a bit dull though. Naked women, an obession with the naked female form, and looks, naked children on a secluded beach, with her faceless naked mummy. As I said, not bad, but I've always found the obsession with motherhood in art to be sooo boring. (I know I wouldn't understand unless I've been a mother and an artist at the same time...like I care) But what I object to is that somehow, if you're a mother, your feelings and sensitivity is somehow greater than anyone else's. I reckon they should have got John Leslie to critique her work. Now that would have been a picture!

By the way, I was going to put a pic of Ulrika but I thought I'd upload Henry Kelly instead. Because I can, and after the week I've had I'm past caring.

No comments: